When it comes to developing printed advertising and marketing materials for your business, few media formats offer the durability, versatility, and print quality of Foamex. Lightweight yet sturdy, and suitable for both indoor and outdoor mounting, Foamex signage can be used for a whole host of applications; from construction site signs and hoardings, to trade show graphics and point-of-sale displays—Foamex can handle it all!
At JMF, we have spent the last 25 years developing Foamex sign solutions for businesses of all shapes and sizes. We don’t just provide an excellent service—we provide a comprehensive service. From site survey and artwork design, to manufacture and installation, our expert team will deliver the finest printed Foamex at low prices that don’t compromise on quality.
To find out more about our great service, contact our team today! Alternatively, keep reading for our handy guide to all-things Foamex.
What Are Foamex Boards?
Foamex boards are made from a lightweight yet strong foam board PVC. The material is compressed and moulded to create a smooth, even surface, in a variety of thicknesses. The result is a high-quality printing substrate, that’s perfect for both indoor and outdoor use.
Foamex boards can be used for everything from signage and display boards to exhibition graphics and photo mounting. They’re also incredibly popular as point-of-sale displays, information signage, menu boards, and much more.
The Benefits of Printing on Foam Boards
Foamex boards have a smooth, even surface making them the perfect substrate for high-quality images and graphics.
We use the latest large-format ultra-high-resolution edge-to-edge printing technology to produce the most vivid colours, with astonishing luminosity, contrast, and depth.
With UV finishing and gloss or matt lamination, your printed foam board is guaranteed to deliver the most striking signage for your business.
Foam boards are extremely versatile and adaptable, making them the perfect option for custom shape printing.
Foamex works great with rounded corners and intricate shaping, including standees, advertising boards, product-specific point-of-sale stands, and more.
We use the latest in CNC router technology to contour cut foam signs to the custom sizes our clients require, with bulk discounts available for large orders.
Foamex board is significantly more rigid than traditional foam board, so it’s perfect for displays that need to be free-standing.
The dense, compressed foam core also means that printed Foamex boards can be used outdoors without warping or bowing, making them ideal for low-cost high-quality temporary signage and display boards.
Despite their rigidity, Foamex boards are extremely lightweight, making them easy to transport and handle.
The lightweight nature of Foamex makes it extremely attractive for businesses that need to frequently update their signs and displays, as well as for those who frequently attend exhibitions and trade events, where portability is key.
Printed Foamex boards are waterproof and UV-stable, making them great for both indoor and outdoor use.
If your Foamex prints are destined to remain outside for extended periods of time, we do recommend adding a layer of lamination for some extra rigidity, and to protect the vibrancy of the print from weather elements and UV exposure. We offer gloss and matt lamination options, ensuring your boards will stay looking their best for as long as you need them to.
Foamex boards are an extremely cost-effective printing solution for both short-term and long-term use. What’s more, with thicknesses as narrow as 3mm, Foamex boards are cheap to ship, making them ideal for businesses with multiple locations.
Where Are Foamex Boards Displayed?
The numerous benefits offered by Foamex printing make it the perfect solution for a huge range of businesses and industries:
Foamex signs are extensively used as retail signage as they offer a versatile and cost-effective way to create eye-catching signage, and enticing point-of-sale displays.
Foamex board is the ideal substrate for event signage and exhibition panels, as it’s lightweight enough to transport easily and durable enough to be re-used time and again. Printed Foamex board can be used to create stunning standees and exhibition graphics, or shaped into a company logo or brand icon.
Foamex board printing is widely used for the creation of high-impact construction site hoardings and temporary signage. As they’re waterproof and UV-stable, they’re perfect for outdoor use, and their low cost means they can be easily updated as developments progress.
Restaurants and Bars
Foamex is the ideal substrate for menu boards, point-of-sale displays, and other signage for restaurants and bars. As it’s so easy to clean, Foamex is also perfect for hygiene-critical environments, such as food preparation areas.
Foamex boards have a wide range of Office applications, from wayfinding and directional signs to internal branding and marketing materials. Foamex is also a great choice for office partitions, as it offers superb acoustic properties.
Foamex Board: Thickness, Lamination, and Mounting Options
As mentioned, Foamex board can be both incredibly lightweight and incredibly sturdy. You will need to consider your specific needs before purchase to ensure the thickness matches your requirements. We can produce Foamex board in a range of different thicknesses, but the most common sheet sizes are:
- 3mm Foamex Board: The ultimate lightweight option, 3mm Foamex is a great option for a temporary display at an indoor location.
- 5mm Foamex Board: Still a lightweight option, 5mm PVC foam has the rigidity for use in exterior locations (if combined with a suitable laminate option), while still offering convenient adhesive/velcro wall hanging.
- 10mm Foamex Board: 10mm foam boards can be safely displayed outside for long periods, without the need to worry about ripping or tearing. 10mm Foamex signs are significantly heavier than 3mm Foamex boards, so you may need assistance to install these signs securely.
While Foamex printing consistently results in a great quality print, if you want that final print to stay looking great—particularly when displayed outside—it’s important to select the right lamination for your sign. At JMF, we offer three lamination solutions for our Foamex signs:
- Matt Lamination: A great choice for indoor signs, our matt lamination option will protect your sign from knocks and scrapes, while still allowing you to write on the sign with dry-wipe markers.
- Gloss Lamination: If your sign is going to be displayed outside or in a high-traffic area, we recommend selecting gloss lamination. This option will make your print more durable, as well as making it easier to clean.
- Anti-Grafitti Lamination: If you think your sign might be vulnerable to vandalism, our anti-graffiti lamination is the ideal solution. This option will protect your sign from felt tip markers and spray paint, and can simply be wiped clean if required.
Its low cost, smooth finish, lightweight structure, and astonishing print quality make foam PVC a wildly popular large-format print option. For both interior and exterior mounting, printing on Foamex is an excellent option for displaying your message in any environment.
- Wall Mounting: Foamex signs can be supplied with drill holes to allow for simple secure mounting to any wall space. For an even simpler application, double-sided adhesive tape or even velcro strips can be used to allow for easy installation and removal without damaging your walls.
- Post Mounting: Foamex works great with ground and floor posts, both for outdoor and indoor use. By threading cable ties through the drill holes, you can achieve a stable and secure post-mounted sign, without the need for expensive installation engineers.
- Stand Mounting: With its dense foam core, Foamex is perfect for free-standing applications such as point-of-sale stands and exhibition panels. For added support, we can supply your Foamex signs with aluminium standoffs, which screw into the sign for a sleek and professional finish.
How Long Do Foamex Signs Last?
Foamex printing is an extremely versatile and robust printing material, perfect for both short-term and long-term use. Depending on the application, your Foamex sign could last anywhere from a few days to several years.
For temporary applications such as event graphics or directional signage, Foamex is ideal as it’s so lightweight and easy to transport.
For more permanent applications, such as office reception signs or building identification, Foamex still offers an excellent solution. With UV-stable inks and the option for lamination, your signs will retain their vibrancy for many years to come, with little need for maintenance or replacement.
Turning Your Artwork into Print-Ready Artwork
Foamex board printing can yield truly stunning results, but only if the supplied artwork is optimised for the job.
Whether you have your own artwork ready to go or are looking for a design team to help you out, take a look below for our tips on supplying print-ready artwork:
- Resolution: When it comes to large-format printing, it’s vital to ensure your artwork file is set to the correct resolution. A good quality print comes from a good quality file; an inappropriate file will yield poor quality photographic images and badly saturated colours.
- Colour Mode: Your Foamex sign artwork should be designed in—or subsequently converted to—a CMYK colour profile to guarantee accurate full-colour reproduction. If you’d like to receive instructions on how to apply a colour profile, the helpful staff on our design team will to glad to assist.
- Bleed: Foamex printing is an edge-to-edge process, but we still recommend including a minimum 5mm bleed on all sides of your design. Our artwork templates include crop marks and printers’ marks, so we recommend using these as a basis if you’re unsure.
- Embedding: Before you drop files over to our design team, ensure all images are embedded, all fonts outlined, and all colour profiles are consistent. This is particularly important if you need to upload multiple files, as varying profiles might result in colours that are not in line with those of your brand.
- Design: Last but by no means least: the design of the artwork itself. At JMF, our in-house design team can assist in all aspects of design, from image sourcing and artwork formatting to branding and colour profiling. Whether you’re looking for multiple designs or just a single print, our design team can provide great customer service along with outstanding creative expertise.
JMF Group: Full-Colour, Custom Shape Foamex Printing for Your Business
At JMF, we offer full-colour, custom shape Foamex printing for businesses of all sizes. With over 25 years of experience in large format printing, we’re here to help you get the most out of your Foamex signs.
Take a look below for the excellent service we offer to all our Foamex printing clients:
We offer our clients an on-site survey at no extra cost, so we can take an accurate measurement of your sign requirements. This also allows us to recommend the most appropriate fixing method for your project, as well as discuss the best material and fixing options for your particular needs.
As mentioned above, our award-winning design team can assist you with all aspects of your project, from artwork formatting to complete Foamex sign design. We offer a full range of services to help make your vision a reality.
Our design service can be used across multiple files for large orders or double-sided Foamex signs, and our team will send a PDF proof for your approval before we proceed.
Our in-house manufacture and production facilities allow us to offer the ultimate speedy service. Our fast service is available for single and multiple quantities, and our quick turnaround, low lead time, and super-fast delivery options mean you’ll have your signs up before you know it.
Delivery / Installation
JMF Group can provide a complete end-to-end service, from design to delivery and installation. We understand that not everyone is familiar with the installation process, so we offer an installation service carried out by our team of experienced professionals.
For those comfortable with a DIY approach, we can bubble wrap your artwork and ship it via one of our trusted delivery partners.
What Are You Waiting For?
If you’re looking for top-quality, custom-printed Foamex boards, look no further than JMF Group. We offer a complete service, from design to delivery and installation, and our team of experts are on hand to assist you with every step of your project.
Get in touch today to find out more about our Foamex printing services.